Genesis Centre Gets Set for Growth!
With the changing seasons come some very exciting changes for us here at Genesis Centre. Today, two of our staff have stepped up to the plate and accepted promotions that will see an expansion of programs and services at Genesis. Michelle Simms has accepted the position of Vice President, Programs and Operations and Angelo Casanas has accepted the position of Manager, Start-ups and Partnerships. In their new roles, Michelle and Angelo will work hard to expand the services provided to the clients and the start-up community in general. Michelle will forge relationships with program and service providers that will be of benefit to our clients and Angelo will foster relationships with players in the start-up ecosystem to increase interest in and awareness of entrepreneurship.
Check out some of our accomplishments from the past year alone:
- Launched the Evolution program that has taken 24 new companies through 4 cohorts
- Our graduate, SubC Control, received the International Incubator Graduate of the Year award from NBIA
- Started a Women in Technology Peer group that now boasts more than 35 members and meets monthly
- Our clients and graduates now employ more than 600 people.
- Expanded, with office space, into the BeachHead Innovation Center in the Town of Holyrood
- Selected to join the Microsoft BizSpark program giving our clients access to development tools and network partners
Michelle joined the Genesis Centre in 2002 as Business Analyst and moved into the role of Manager, Incubation Services in 2011. Michelle has worked with more than 100 technology companies since joining Genesis. Angelo joined the Centre in 2014 as Venture Support Coordinator. Previously, Angelo worked for the MaRS Discovery District in Toronto, one of the world’s largest urban innovation hubs. Angelo was instrumental in the development of the Genesis Evolution Program.
Under the leadership of our new CEO, Greg Hood, the Genesis Centre continues to grow and build upon the 18 year history of success stories it has had. It’s a great time for the innovation sector in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador.
So, as the leaves begin to fall, keep an eye out for our new offerings and partnerships. And, check out this posting, we’re expanding and looking for someone who is as excited about innovation and start-ups as we are.
Congratulations Michelle and Angelo!